Research associate employment with TECHNISCHE UNIVERSITAT DRESDEN (TU DRESDEN)
At TU Dresden, Faculty of Computer Science, Institute of Computer Engineering, the Chair in Compiler Construction is offering a fixed-term position starting May 1, 2022 as
(subject to personal qualification, employees are paid according to salary group E 13 TV-L)
Search area: Compiler representations and optimization for systems with emerging memory technologies
Mandates: The position is limited to February 29, 2024 with the possibility of extension subject to other projects funded by third parties. The duration of employment is governed by the law on fixed-term research contracts (Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetz – WissZeitVG). The position offers the possibility of obtaining an additional academic qualification.
Position and requirements
At the Compiler Building Chair, we have the long-term vision to shape the way future electronic systems should be programmed. This includes defining new programming abstractions through domain-specific languages and associated compiler frameworks to enable software optimization for heterogeneous and large-scale distributed computing systems. In this context, we are looking for a highly motivated researcher to work on high-level optimizations for systems with emerging memory technologies. This involves data placement aspects for systems that combine consumer memories (SRAM and DRAM) with emerging memories (spin torque transfer RAM, phase change memory and racing memories), as well as new techniques for efficiently exploiting in-memory and near-memory computing. The selected candidate will work with state-of-the-art compilation frameworks (LLVM, MLIR and Pluto) and memory and system simulators. The long-term goal is to create abstractions that can be extended and reused for systems other than those addressed in the project.
We aim to attract top talent in the respective research areas and expect the following:
• an outstanding university degree (master’s degree/diploma or equivalent) in computer science, mathematics, electrical engineering or a relevant field;
• initial research experience, preferably in compilers, applied mathematics (eg graph algorithms), optimization techniques, polyhedral compilers;
• solid knowledge of computer architecture;
• knowledge of LLVM IR and MLIR is very beneficial;
• an independent working attitude, focused on objectives and solutions;
• inter and multidisciplinary reflection;
• an integrative and cooperative personality with excellent communication and social skills;
• proficiency in English – written and oral.
What we offer
You will join a team of enthusiastic researchers who creatively pursue their individual research agenda. The chair is part of the “Center for Advancing Electronics Dresden”, which offers many resources and structures for career development.
Informal requests can be submitted to Prof. Dr.-Ing. Jerónimo Castrillon, Tel. +49 (351) 463 42716; Email: [email protected]
Applications from women are particularly welcome. The same goes for people with disabilities.